for Avant-garde Showcase
Montreal, June 8, 2018 – From May 23 to June 7, Montreal was immersed in a delightful frenzy generated by the 12th edition of the Festival TransAmériques. Over a period of 16 days, 25 dance and theatre shows charmed curious, attentive and captivated audiences with performances in 17 sites across the city. Day after day, exceptional encounters took place between artists and spectators in the venues – always full – moments of passionate interest and exchange.
By the end of the festival, 19 of the 22 shows were sold out (77 performances out of a total of 83), with an overall attendance rate of 99% – a first for the FTA! Given that the artistic approaches and quests of the featured artists were audacious, innovative and at times demanding, these figures are a clear indication that Montrealers are keen on an avant-garde program that surprises, disconcerts and enchants.
The co-executive directors of the FTA, Martin Faucher and David Lavoie, feel blessed by the impressive number of spectators enjoying the shows. Nonetheless, it is essential that the FTA have the financial means necessary to continue to fulfill its mission in its current format, allowing it to also raise its outdoor program, respond to demand from a growing audience and continue to play a critical role in the theatre and dance community.
2018 Facts & Figures
– 115 performances of 25 shows from 13 countries (South Africa, Brazil, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Mexico, Holland, Sweden, United States)
– 210 artists from 20 countries
– 9 co-productions, including an international co-production (Titans)
– 9 new works, including 8 world premières
– 9 North American premières
– 72 FTA Playgrounds activities (meet-the-artists events, discussions, films, FTA Clinics, master classes, parties)
– 2432 overnight stays in hotels directly generated by Festival activities
– 2 Benefit Events
– $111.000 invested in co-production by the FTA
– 149 presenters and festival programmers from 24 countries
– 165 journalists, including 16 from outside Quebec from 4 countries
– 759 young participants to our Student Outreach Program
– 1 book on the artistic history of the FTA